Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am skilled in small animal emergency, medicine, surgery, acupuncture and complementary medicine.
27829951

I have a German Shepherd. Lately she keeps shaking her head

I have a German Shepherd. Lately she keeps shaking her head and she yelps if you pet around her ears. You can a lot of wax type stuff in her ears. I can't really afford to take her to the vet right now. I can get antibiotics from online for her but I'm not sure which kind I should get. Can you advise me without seeing her on what kind of antibiotics to get for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andi replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your dog might have an ear infection. This infection could be from bacteria, yeast or both. So, it's difficult to advise what kind of antibiotic to use without an ear swab because there might not be any bacteria in there.

One thing you can do at home is clean her ears with diluted vinegar water (1/4 cup white vinegar to 3/4 cup water). Pour the vinegar water into her ears, grab the base of her ear where the cartilage is and rub her ear to make a squishing sound. Do this for a good 20-30 seconds. Then, let her shake her head to get the water out of her ears (this might be gross and messy...). Follow up by using a cotton ball to swab out the inside of her ears until you get no more debris. Clean her ear 2x a day for a week, then weekly for maintenance.

I can't prescribe an antibiotic without seeing her. The antibiotic I use for ear infections is Cephalexin at 22-32 mg/kg twice a day for 10 days (1 pound = 2.2 kg). For a dog her size that's usually 1000mg twice a day. But, if there is yeast in her ear then the antibiotic won't help. The vinegar water will help get rid of yeast though.

I hope this helps and good luck with Ginger's ears!