Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

pup: veterinary..russel..sleeping alot started to shiver abit.went

Type your dog veterinary question here russel male pup not eating sleeping alot started to shiver abit.went swimming on sunday at the broadwater,was cold water.not drinking also.sleeping most of the day.may it be spider ?can"t see a tick.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

Is he vaccinated?
Any vomiting/ diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes he is vaccinated 2 weeks ago,yes some vomiting, faeces runny.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks,

If there is vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy in a puppy then he should be tested for Parvo Virus. This is a common virus in puppies that causes these signs. It is part of the distemper vaccine, but sometimes in puppies that are unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated we'll get the disease.

The diagnosis is made with a rectal swab snap test.

Treatment is with aggressive IV fluids, IV antibiotics and GI protectants. It usually takes 3-5 days in the hospital to recover from Parvo. With aggressive treatment, > 90% of puppies will survive. With at home or out-patient care, the survival rate is only 30-40%.

I would get him tested asap either with your family vet or an ER vet that has 24 hour care as that would be best for him. Hopefully it's just a parasite or some other GI disease, but Parvo is most likely and needs to be ruled out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.