Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has a bump/lump on the top of her head. Can you please

Customer Question

My dog has a bump/lump on the top of her head. Can you please tell me what this could be? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is this a hard bump, a soft bump or a bony prominence? Is there any discharge coming out of it? Is the bump painful? How large is the bump?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even though i'm not quite sure if it's a hard bump or a bony can be either or. There is no discharge coming out of it, doesn't seem to painful when we touch it and it is seems to be getting larger.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information. A bony prominence would not be getting larger, unless there was a bone tumor growing. Other possibilities include a soft tissue tumor (benign and cancerous), a cyst or an abscess. An abscess would most likely be painful. It will be virtually impossible to say exactly what the bump is without seeing it. Even then, your vet may need to aspirate it and send the sample into the lab to get a confirmed diagnosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.