petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog broke his nail badley and the quick is exposed and keeps

My dog broke his nail badley and the quick is exposed and keeps reopening and bleeding. It's painful. What can I do to help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Jennifer,

When a nail is fractured, the broken part has to be removed. Sometimes this means it has to be cut very low maybe even flush with the toe. This often causes additional bleeding and leaves an exposed quick. This is very painful, and most of the time cannot be done without tranquilization.

Until you can get some help from your veterinarian, if Brody will let you, I would apply a light wrap and keep Brody quiet to stop the bleeding. You can apply clotting powder made for nails, like quick stop if you have it, but until you get the fractured part removed, it will likely keep bleeding and causing pain.

The biggest problem with these is simply that they hurt and most dogs will not allow you to do much without tranquilization. We usually have to bandage and send home with pain medication for a few days. Once the fractured part of the nail is removed, a new nail will grow over in a short while to cover the exposed quick.

Good luck with him and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Edited by Dr Z on 2/12/2010 at 1:21 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Dr.Z. yes, this origianlly happened last weekend and he's sucha good boy I was able to cut away the broken part ( it was at a 90 degree angle) but the exposure is ripped under and down the side. it continues t open up everytime he goes outside in the snow and ice. i'll continue w/ the quick stop and probably get him some bootys in the morning. He'll love that. lol thanks again
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 years ago.

Jennifer,

Yes, until that new nail growth occurs, that exposed quick will be painful so covering it is a good idea. If it keeps breaking open and bleeding, you may need to have it cut back even further. It hurts but it does speed up the healing.

I hope he's feeling better soon.