Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

Hi - My 9 yo Boston Terrier (Martin) has a swolen lump at about

Hi - My 9 yo Boston Terrier (Martin) has a swolen lump at about 7 o'clock around his anus. The swelling extends beyond his donut hole to his left cheek. The skin is stretched tight and the area is swolen and firm. He is not trying to drag his bottom or lick himself. The lump appeared this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was a somewhat sudden development as he is always sticking his butt in my face as he digs to crawl under my covers. I pressed on the lump, it felt firm and it made him and me both uncomfortable. I won't be able to dig out of the snow until Friday night or Saturday so I can't get him to the vet right away. Nothing is oozing and there is no noticeable odor from his donut hole. He is acting normal and playing with toys so I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Madi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Madi,

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• How much does he weigh?
  • Does he take any medications or have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Christian! Martin is normal weight, about 15lbs. He is not on any medication, but I do feed "missing link" supplement with his food. He gets a monthly HeartGuard chew at the first of every month.
Thank you for the information. It sound like Martin is developing an anal gland abscess. The anal glands are located on either side of the rectum. They can become plugged and infected leading to all the symptoms you are describing. Eventually it will either empty or rupture through the skin, draining infection and pus. The situation will need antibiotics so get him to a vet as soon as you can. You can give one 81mg aspirin every 12 hours for pain. Warm compresses on the area for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times daily may also help. If the abscess ruptures that is okay just flush the area with tepid water frequently to flush out the infection and clean the area. If ther is a lot of bleeding then apply pressure and an ice pack. If you have more questions please let me know.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the efficient and fast response! I greatly appreciate the expert information and your online availability. I doubled the payment amount and added a 100% bonus. You are fabulous and I will recommend you to all my friends! Madi P.
You are welcome Madi. I'm glad I could help and I appreciate everything very much. Stay warm.