CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My 9 yo female Corgi is limping (R front leg) after a brief

My 9 yo female Corgi is limping (R front leg) after a brief but vigorous run in the new snow. I can handle the paw, but she seems to be having trouble with weight bearing. I gave 2 enteric baby aspirin (81 mg each) for pain about an hour ago. What do you advise?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

Is there any swelling or specific pain?

If you look at the paw itself, on the paw pads and betwee the toes, is that area red or painful?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No swelling or specific localized pain that I can detect. I can gently squeeze the leg with no reaction.

No injury obvious on or between the pads.

Looks as if it may be shoulder pain. When she runs, she turns quickly for the return.

Thank you for your reply!

In general, front limb lameness is usually a little bit more difficult of a diagnosis than hind limb lameness. The hips and knees are easier to understand and see on x-ray as compared to the shoulder, elbow and wrist (carpus).

My hope and suspicion is that this is most likely to be a temporary strain, sprain, or soft tissue injury after the snow activity.

Unless getting markedly worse, I would probably try to decrease her activity level for a day or 2 to see if this resolves.

In being thorough, what else could this be if it is not a temporary strain, sprain, or soft tissue injury?

1) Shoulder
Unlikely to be
osteochondritis dessicans (OCD) in an older dog (not a puppy).
------ Ligament or tendon rupture (medial glenohumeral ligament, etc)
------ Even neck pain can manifest as shoulder pain (root signature)

2) Elbow - Elbow dysplasia (or fracture) can be applied to three separate syndromes: fragmented coronoid process (FCP), OCD of the distal medial humeral condyle, and ununited anconeal process (UAP).

3) Carpus (wrist) - Carpal hyperextension, fracture, etc.

If this does not resolve, I would contact your veterinarian for evaluation and possible anti-inflammatory medication.

Regarding medication now - to be 100% honest, the safest medications for a case like this would be Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory medication from your veterinarian (examples being Deramaxx, Rimadyl, or Previcox. These will likely be the most effective for controlling pain with the least chance of any side effects.

If you are unable to get to your veterinarian, or think the pain is severe enough were treatment is needed now, buffered aspirin would be the only over-the-counter I would recommend. Please, no tylenol or ibuprofen.

Alhough safer than Tylenol or Ibuprofen, aspirin can cause GI upset as I would not use this long term.

This link will give you the needed information for dosing if you would like:

Along with the aspirin, to reduce stomach upset, I would also give Pepcid (Famotidine). The dose based on your dog's weight is 5mg every 12 hours. You can also purchase this over the counter.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.