Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog, a boston terrier, has had diarrhea. He has had it

My dog, a boston terrier, has had diarrhea. He has had it several days. We have been feeding him rice only but he does not like it and would not eat it yesterday, so I gave him a few wheat crackers. He is acting like himself, happy, energetic. Any suggestions? Should I stay on this course? What else could he eat in addition to the rice? Could I flavor it with something?
Hi there and welcome to Justanswer!

From what you have told me, it does appear that Quincy has a mild digestive disturbance. If this is minor and due to something Quincy ate or stress, the best thing to do for now is to fast Quincy for 24 hrs. This will allow his tract to calm down and heal. After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken ¼ and rice ¾. If this has helped, wean Quincy onto the regular meal over 2 day’s period. At the same time, you can give Imodium AD 2 mg caplets at 1 caplet per 30 pounds of Quincy’s weight given every 8 hrs.

It is extremely important to have your dog seen immediately by a vet if your dog continues to have severe diarrhea. Even the dehydration from this can cause your dog severe complications.

If this is not successful, you will have to have your vet examine Quincy to determine if there is something else such as a protozoa or infection that is causing this diarrhea.

Good Luck!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I suspect Quincy ate a little stuffing out of one of his dog toys he recently tore up. He weighs only 16 lbs. Would i give him one-half a caplet? Is it powder?

Yes, give him 1/2 caplet of Imodium AD. These are caplets so you will have to put it in something he likes to get him to take it or put it down his throat.

Do this every 8 hrs until his diarrhea stops.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Quincy does not tolerate chicken well. Can another meat be substituted?
Sure, turkey willl work or very lean ground beef.