Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Dog Veterinary

my dog has had white foamy vomit and very watery diarrhea,

sometimes with streaks of bright... Show More
sometimes with streaks of bright red blood. it has been ongoing for about 5 days, with some intermittent semi normal stool during that time. She is still very active and is showing appetitie, but i am afraid to feed her. She has to go out every few hours to relieve herself. thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
I'm sorry to hear that Francis isn't feeling completely normal with his intestinal tract. The fact that the vomiting has been going on for 5 days does strongly indicate that something is going on that needs to be more directly treated. I would recommend having her seen to have a physical exam done, some blood work and some x-rays. All this will help to determine the cause of the vomiting. This will then allow the best treatment to be started up for her.
Until you get in, I'd pull up food and water from her for 12 hours. No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 12 hours, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it. This may get over the problem, but I'm not too confident in it given the length of the vomiting so far.

I hope this helps!!
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
She's vomited 4 times, but has had diarrhea probably about 12. it's very running. and started happening the day I switched her food, and the day she got a new rawhide, so Im thinking it might be one of those. if it's irritation from new food, we can try some home remedy (bland food, kaopectate). She will definitely eat the rice and burger food, as she is begging for her regular food. If it's a rawhide chunk, what do you suggest? I will take her for x rays if nothing else works. but i don't have a ton of money to spare.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago.
Switching foods can definitely be a source of vomiting. If she's still bright and alert, you can try the pulling up of the food and water. I wouldn't go back to her old food after the vomiting settles down. The bland food is the best. I try to not use the kaopectate, it might make them nauseated.
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
Does it make a difference in treatment if it is new food or potential intestinal blockage from rawhide? I am planning to follow your recommendation of no food/water for 24 hours. If there is still vomiting and/or diarrhea, then bland food?
If it is a blockage from the rawhide, it won't get better with the pulling of food and water. If it is due to the new food, it has a chance of working. If there is still vomiting then a veterinary visit is needed. IF there is still diarrhea, then continuing the bland food may get it to resolve.