Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog ate pine needles and has vomited 20 times in the past

Customer Question

My dog ate pine needles and has vomited 20 times in the past 3 1/2 hours. Is there anything I can give her to stop the vomitting? Are pine needles toxic for her? She is a doberman pinscher 11 years of age 73 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

Some types of pine needles are thought to be toxic to dogs, while others are not poisonous they will irritate the digestive tract and so can cause vomiting.
The real danger here would be that some pine needles might be sharp enough to penetrate the lining of the alimentary tract.

I have personally seen dog have severe disease in this situation albeit very rarely, for this reason I cannot suggest any home remedies, it is not worth the risk. The best plan here would be to have a vet check your dog over as soon as possible.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not currently able to get her to a vet until tomorrow. Would there be blood in the vomit if it punctured her alimentary tract?
Hello again,

This is not always the case, all you might see would be vomiting and lethargy. Most dogs would get away with this if you just sit things out but there are obvious dangers ...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

No problem, very glad to advise you ...

Good luck,