Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduated vet school with honors; Own 6 dogs, big and small.
8954214

why has my dog all of a sudden started drinking a lot more

why has my dog all of a sudden started drinking a lot more water than the past?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- There are several possible problems that could cause your dog to be drinking and urinating more than usual. Can I have some more information so we can narrow down the possibilities?
Is he neutered?
Is he on any medications?
How is his appetite?
Do you think he is losing weight?
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is neutered
He is not on any medication
His appetite is normal
I don't think he is losing weight

My wife has been giving him "meat in the middle" rawhides--could that cause the excessive drinking of water?
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for the extra information.
First, as for the possibility that the meat in the middle rawhides could increase his thirst, it IS possible. They may be high is salt, which could increase water consumption. HOWEVER, it is much more likely that there is something more serious going on with your dog. Because he is a large breed dog, at his age he is considered a "Senior" aged dog. Dogs in his age group have a much higher incidence of disease unfortunately. The most common reasons for a dog of his age and breed to have increased thirst and urination are diabetes mellitus, renal (kidney) failure, hypothyroidism (low thyroid function), high blood calcium levels (due to cancer), or Cushing's disease (too much cortisol made by the body). Each of these possibilities is very serious and requires treatment by your vet as soon as possible. Please consider having your dog examined by your vet soon. Try to bring a urine sample from your dog with you to your vet. Many of these disease can be eliminated from the list of possibilities with a simple urine test (urinalysis).
Hope this helps, write back if you have more questions,
Dr Karen

Edited by Dr. Karen on 2/7/2010 at 11:09 PM EST