Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

What would cause my dogs lower eye lid to now cover a good

What would cause my dog's lower eye lid to now cover a good portion of her eye? She is 14 years old and has also recently become very timid. Thanks.
Hello there,

Is it the third eyelid that is causing the problem?

How long has it been going on?

Was the dog on eye medication?

Is the eyelid white or inflamed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It started at the end of last year but the lid has progressively covered more of her eye in the last month. It doesn't seem like she's in pain although she now shys away a little when you go to pet her. Her vet thought an infection was causing the problem but antibiotics didn't clear it up. She has not been on any eye medication. A blood test did show that she did have some type of infection although the source was not determined. The vet thought it might be from her teeth/mouth because of her age and the condition of her teeth. The eyelid does not look inflamed but it is white. They were thinking of doing an x-ray to see if something was behind her eye (tumor) but at 14 years old I'm not sure I want to put her under to have that done.

The most common cause for the eyelid problem is an issue with the nerve to the eye itself. When the dog sleeps, the eyes retract into the orbit and the third eyelids come up. When awake, the eyes bulge slightly and push the eyelids down. When the nerve that controls this is affected with inflammation or infection, the lid stays up. It may not be correctable in a dog this age. A tumor behind the eye is not likely. If the eyelid is not inflamed, eye meds won't help. The only thing that may help would be an oral anti-inflammatory for several weeks. Prednisone is used most often. An x-ray will not show much unless there is a bone tumor. An ultrasound would be better and the dog would not need to be knocked out. If they do find something, surgery would likely be needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.

You are very welcome. Good Luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I just thought of something. The vet also put her on Previcox for her joints. Since that's a anti-inflammatory would that help or should I ask to have her put on Prednisone instead?

The Previcox works very well on joints, but does not help much with nerve inflammation. It cannot be mixed with prednisone. If the Previcox does not help, the needs to be off it for 5 days before prednisone can be used. If she just started the Previcox, you will see results within 1-2 weeks if it is going to help. If not, I would ask to try the prednisone.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Have a great day.

You are welcome.