CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my pug is acting strange. he is sitting up and keeps twitching

Customer Question

my pug is acting strange. he is sitting up and keeps twitching about every 10 seconds. She bobs her head back and stretches her body when she does it. she is breathing okay though. what is wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she conscious when she is doing this?

Has this happened before?

When did this start?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no vomiting or diarrhea

yes she is wide awake

never before

earlier this evening 7 maybe

Thank you for your reply!

it does not seem like a heart related "syncopal" episode as there is no collapse.

It also does not seem to be a grand mal seizure.

If it is neurological, it could be a nerve problem or even a petit-mal seizure based on the limited episodes as described.

If bloodwork has not been done, checking the cell counts and organ values would be very important here as there can be organ and electrolyte changes which can cause twitching as you describe.

What may also help would be to video tape an episode - even if you have a cell phone camera that can take videos - that would be very helpful.

If your veterinarian believes based on examination and seeing the video that this is neurological, you can try to ask your veterinarian to refer you to a local specialist, a neurologist for evaluation. If you have the video - you can also then show them if your dog does not have an episode while at the specialist.

If you are uncomfortable asking your veterinarian for a referral, here is a link to find a specialist in your area.

http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=3#

I hope this helps!!!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible she swallowed something and it is lodged? It just seems like she is stretching her neck like she can't get something out, but she is not gasping or coughing. Do i need to be worried that she needs urgent care right now?
It is hard to say over the internet - but with no gasping, coughing, vomiting, or retching - to me that would seem less likely.

From what you report over the internet it would not seem that urgen care is needed, but it is hard to say and I would monitor closely for changing signs.