Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

Can dogs sleep with their eyes open

Can dogs sleep with their eyes open?
Thank you for your question.

Yes, the condition you are describing is lagophthalmos, when the eyelids don't close completely over the globe. It occurs more often in brachycephalic breeds (short-faced breeds) such as bulldogs, pugs, boxers, pekes, etc.

If this is a new occurrence, it was good to have him checked to assess cranial nerve 7.

If he is blinking normally, there is probably nothing to worry about, although you may want to purchase an artifical tears lube that you place in the eyes before bed. This will help keep them from drying out, which can lead to pigmentary keratitis.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is a miniature dachshund and yes its something I have just recently noticed, not sure how long its been going on. Its not that his eyes are all the way closed, they are wide open.
Can he blink normally?

When you touch near his eyes, does he blink?

Do his eyes appear to be bulging at all (different then how they normally look)

Thanks,
Dr. D.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no they look normal, they even move back and forth like they would if he was dreaming and his eyes were closed. Is this something I should be worried about?
As long as his eyes function normally, I wouldn't be concerned. If you notice that he sleeping this way now, I would talk to your vet about the ointment. It's easy to place, and will prevent drying out.

If any other symptoms develop, or your would like more reassurance, you can ask for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist for an evaluation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin