Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, My dog is coughing up white mucus, mainly when he

My dog is coughing up white mucus, mainly when he is walking around but better when sleeping. He has been vaccinated, can he still get kennel cough?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How long has your dog had this?

2. Is your dog otherwise bright, alert and eating?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The staffy started on the 19/01/10 and the spitz about 4 days now, I picked them up from the kennels on the 19/01/10 after our holidays. They are both always bright alert and eating and still are but coughing alot.

Many thanks,
Bree
Thanks for the quick reply.

In direct answer to your question : While I cannot diagnose this over the internet it would come as no surprise to me if your dogs have some form of respiratory disease such as kennel cough. This is obviously an infectious disease as both dogs have it and in your dog's age group kennel cough would be the most likely scenario. While the vaccine is effective and it is worth having it does not protect against all forms of kennel cough just the most common ones so what you are seeing could well be kennel cough as there is more than one form of it.

It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dogs feel better very quickly. I will tell you more about this disease :

1. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease. This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

3. The dogs may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, these dogs are usually otherwise quite bright and alert.

4. The dogs will retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, they will bring up some white sputum, some owners take this for vomit. Once they has done this they will settle down for a bit.

Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS