Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

My dog has itchy welts all over her body. These look like

My dog has itchy welts all over her body. These look like hives or mosquito bites in humans. I believe it resulted from her rolling in some weeds this afternoon. I gave her a Benadryl, as her vet had said she could have them for allergies, and I gave her a warm bath. (Just barely warm) Is there anything else I can do for her? She is still scratching quite a bit and whining.

Hi there

How much does she weigh and how much benadryl did you give? Dr. Jenn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I gave her 1 25mg capsule. She weighs about 30 pounds.
You can actually give her benadryl 25mg- 1 1/4 tablet every 8 hours--if this rash just started today she may need steroids to help calm the reaction before it progresses. You will have to see a vet for this-hopefully there is an emergency clinic in your area. There is really nothing else you can give over the counter, besides giving more benadryl.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help, I was afraid I was missing something I should do. There is no clinic in this area, but I intend to contact her regular vet in the morning. I have never seen this site before, but you have certainly eased my mind until I can take her in to be looked at. thanks again!
Good luck-be sure to monitor her breathing--(not to scare you) -sometimes allergic reactions can get bad enough that they can have serious effects, since you are giving the benadryl you should be ok , I just want to make you aware.