Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

MY DOG IS GETTING SEVERE CRAMPS IN HIS BACK LEGS. THEY LOCK

Customer Question

MY DOG IS GETTING SEVERE CRAMPS IN HIS BACK LEGS. THEY LOCK UP AND HE SHAKES AND CRIES. HE THEN WANDERS AROUND DISORIENTED. WE TOOK HIM TO THE VETS AND THEY HAVE MELLOWED. THERE TREATING HIM WITH ANTI INFLAMITORIES. COULD THIS BE SOMETHING ELSE? HE IS A SMALL(52LB)MALE LAB(POSSIBLE MIX-HE WAS A RESCUE) THAT IS 5 YEARS OLD.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Justanswer!!

It appears to me that your dog may have had an epileptic seizure. This is a condition that occurs from some trigger in the brain and causes either gran mal seizures or petite mal seizures which are smaller manifestations of this same disease. They can have one episode and never have another or they can have more episodes.It appears to me that max is having petite ma seizures especially if he comes out of this acting normal.

It is best to have your vet examine your dog to rule out any metabolic issues that could also cause seizures such as a liver issue. Once that is ruled out, your vet may choose to place your dog on antiseizure medication if your dog has more than one seizure per week. I say this because your dog could die during a seizure or suffer permanent brain damage if the seizure lasts a long time.

Have your vet examine your dog and they will tell you what to do. It seems unlikely from what you have described that this has anything to do with his muscular system.

Good Luck!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THIS IS WHAT THE VET SAID BUT HE TREATING IT FOR MUSCULAR BECAUSE HE IS A JUMPER ( MY HUSBAND IS 6FT 4) AND HE CAN JUMP UP TO HIS HEAD. HE WONT JUMP OR PLAY NOW. COULD THIS AFFECT HIS ACTIVITY BY HAVING THESE SEIZURES. HE HAD 2 LOCK UPS IN A 15 HOUR PERIOD BUT HAS NOT HAD A BAD ONE SINCE BEING ON THE ANTI INFLAM BUT IS STILL A LITTLE DOWN IN THE DUMPS. HE IS A EXTREMELY ACTIVE DOG AND IS NOW DOING NOTHING.
This could also be a problem with Max's disc in his back that has caused this neurologic problem. If this is the case, then the antiinflammatory agents will take some time to decrease the inflammation in the form of fluid that is compressing the nerves to these areas. For now, if this is the problem, the less exercise and the less strain on his back will allow him to heal quicker. If the disc is starting to rupture, he could become paralyzed.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YOU HAVE BEEN A HUGE HELP!!!
You are very welcome!

I hope you and Max have a Great day!!