David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic

my dog just ate part of a plastic bin bag I am worried it will

my dog just ate part of a plastic bin bag I am worried it will get caught up inside her and make her really ill - what should I do ? Many thanks, Sally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Sally, and thanks for writing in.

Was the bag like a plastic garbage bag?

How much would you say was eaten?

How long ago was it eaten?

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Dave

It was a kitchen bin size liner (the white kind) and she tore it up so I think most of it is just a tear now I look closely but there is definitely one hole that is missing which she must have eaten about the size of a small round apple. I have just left her for about 40 minutes and when I came back I found she had torn it up and eaten :-(

Thanks for your reply.

At this point in time, I would recommend inducing vomiting by giving 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the back of the mouth. If there is no vomiting in 10 minutes, you can repeat the dose of peroxide once. This will just help to get rid of any plastic bag pieces that may still be in the stomach, to try and avoid any potential problems. Since it sounds like the bag was chewed in to small pieces, hopefully no problems will occur, but you could potentially see a blockage of the intestines if the pieces "pile up" in one spot. So, you will need to watch over the next 2-3 days for vomiting, diarrhea, straining to pass stool, lack of appetite, or lethargy. Most likely, from what you have said, your dog will be fine, though.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Dave