Dr. Judy
Dr. Judy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience: dermatology, infectious diseases, preventative medicine, client education.

My puppy has VERY bad gas that smells terrible. He is on a

My puppy has VERY bad gas that smells terrible. He is on a very high protein diet - best money can buy, and he gets rawhide bones frequently. No table food whatsoever. Do you think it is the rawhide causing the gas or the high protein puppy food?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Judy replied 6 years ago.
What brand of puppy food and rawhides are you feeding? Has he been dewormed yet? Did you just switch him onto this diet, and if so did you do it abruptly or slowly over 1-2 weeks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has been eating Earthborn Holistic which I felt was pretty good for him. Not sure on the brand of rawhides but just read somewhere else this might be causing it because they are high in protein. No, no switches in food since we got him 3 weeks ago, and the gas seems to be getting worse! Apparently the Earthborn is what they had him on when we got him.
Expert:  Dr. Judy replied 6 years ago.
I would stop giving him the rawhides no matter what--these can be dangerous as they can splinter and impale gums, can cause choke, and potentially be the cause of an intestinal obstruction if swallowed. I recommend getting him a Kong instead--these are super durable and can be stuffed with treats if wanted or needed to keep him busy. I would also recommend you get him dewormed as a per caution--intestinal worms are considered to be syndic, which means that they can be transmitted from species to species, including humans. I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has been to the vet recently had they checked for worms which he did not have. Not sure what else to do about it.
Expert:  Dr. Judy replied 6 years ago.
Most fecal exams come out negative. The parasitologist's are recommending that in order to determine that a fecal is truly negative, one must run a sample daily for 2 weeks via zinc centrifugation (via an outside lab). I consider every puppy and kitten to have worms, and due to the increased incidence in intestinal worm cases in children last year, it is always a good idea to deworm routinely. Plus, it could potentially help with the gas problem--it won't hurt him. I recommend Drontal Plus due to its broad spectrum activity.