Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

My 16-year-old bichon frise is totally deaf and 80-90% blind.

My 16-year-old bichon frise is totally deaf and 80-90% blind. She is piddling on the floor about every 45 minutes. Local veterinarian has done urinalysis, blood work, x-rays for
bladder stones. Everything tests normal except slightly elevated kidney values. Her
appetite is still good. She doesn't want to go for walks very often any more. The frequent piddling is driving me up a wall, and we have no avenues to take to rectify it.
I basically spend my days cleaning up after her. (There is more fluid than a diaper can hold, although I do use one on her at night.) Would it be premature to consider
having her euthanized? Do I just need to work on my patience or is her quality of life
sufficiently compromised that I can send her off with a clear conscience?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.
I wish there was an easy answer to your question. I'm very sorry you are going through this with your beloved family member. After 16 years, I know how hard this situation can be. Unfortunately, you are the best one to judge what her quality of life is like. This comes down to how you can interpret her actions and personality. If she is not acting like she has in the past, and does not seem to have a happy demeanor, this is a sign that her quality of life is diminishing.

In the situation you are facing right now, there would be nothing to worry about if you were to choose euthanasia. This is a viable and reasonable option, especially if all testing has been done and there are no medical options for improvement. However, you must be ready to say goodbye in order to have a clear conscience. If you are not ready to let her go, you will always wonder if you did the right thing. This is not a patience issue, but a decision to be made in the best interest of Lily. If you can interpret that she is not happy, and there are no options for improving her situation, then you will be making the right decision.

I hope this is helpful. And again, I'm sorry you are facing this decision.
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your kind and considerate reply.