Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has grey, dry, raised scaly rings around her eyes, and

My dog has grey, dry, raised scaly rings around her eyes, and the same kind of patches on her nose. Our vet doesn't seem to know what it is. Any ideas? We switched her from a glass dish to a plastic one when we got her, but she already had the patches around her eyes.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 8 year old Lab, Avi and the dry scaly rings around her eyes and on her nose. There are a number of dermatological problems that could cause these symptoms, and I really would encourage you to get your girl back to the Vet for further diagnostics. The first most important step is to try and rule out mites. Demodex mites in particular commonly cause hair loss and scaly skin around the eyes and muzzle, as can sarcoptic mange. For this reason a skin scrape to check for mites would definitely be a good idea, and in the mean time it would be wise to keep her up to date with flea control with a good all round product that also covers mites, such as Advocate. Your Vet can carry out a skin scrape relatively easily during a consult.

If the scrape was negative for mites, it would still be a good idea to treat her for these using a licensed product anyway. The next step, if the areas are unresponsive to antibiotics and antiinflammatories, would be to take a skin biopsy under sedation or light GA. This again can help rule mites in or out that weren't found on a scraping and is also useful to identify less common dermatological problems such as lupus and so on. As your girl is now classed as middle aged, it would also be wise to get a blood sample to rule out an endocrine disorder such as hypothyroidism.

As you can see, there are definitely a few possible causes for Avi's problem and for this reason, it really is important to rule some of these possibilities in or out sooner rather than later. Best of luck and please get your girl back to the Vet for follow up diagnostics when you can please. Just reply if I can be of any further help.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards