Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog has yellowish/orange stools with some mucus in them.

My dog has yellowish/orange stools with some mucus in them. He is eating, but not drinking water. We have given him some pediatlyte and ice cubes. He is still peeing. What do you think it is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

Any recent diet changes?

Is the stool loose?

Did the dog get into anything you know of? Garbage, table scraps?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Been going on since Thursday night. No diet changes. Got a slice of orange off the table and 2 pieces of broccoli. He was given a Drontel 1.5 weeks ago and he is taking Derramax and Tremadol for pain.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The food he stole should not be an issue. Deramax can cause stomach upset, but the dog would be vomiting as well. The mucus and color change in the stool is caused by an inflamed colon. There are many causes for colitis in dogs. Deramax helps with inflammation in the joints, but does little for sift tissue. The dog needs medication to reduce the inflammation. Primor and sucralfate are often used. Canned pumpkin or Metamucil can be added to the food to increase fiber intake. Fiber helps soothe the colon as it passes through. A tablespoon is usually enough.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I feed him chicken and rice and then add pumpkin to it?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
That will work. Most dogs will eat the pumpkin if mixed into other food but won't eat it by itself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know why he may not have any interest in drinking water?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
It is not common for a dog to eat and not drink. If he is urinating normally, he is getting water from somewhere. I would check to make sure he is not getting into sometime outside or drinking from the toilet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We keep him on a leash when outside and he is too short to get into the toliet. When you think think he will start drinking water again...I am concerned about him getting dehydrated.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If he does not drink anything within the next 24 hours, I would be concerned and let your vet know what is going on.