Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dog eats very little and has liquid bowels. Sleeps a lot.

My dog has started sleeping a lot. eating very little and has had liquid bowels. He has been drinking a lot of water but today does not seem interested in the water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.

How long has your dog not been feeling well? Did he eat anything he shouldn't have (toy, sock, table food, bone, etc) before all this started? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He Vomited and had some diarehha, but has not eaten anything out of the norm of his daily cup of food. But then he was back to norm, eating but not as much and being playful. Last night he did not eat or drink, and had diarehha, and today has not eaten and has spent most of the day napping on the couch.

What breed is your dog? What is his normal diet? Any blood or mucus in the diarrhea?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is a small dog, mixed with I think terrier and poodle. He gets a half a cup of dry food in the morning, and a half cup at night. He gets either a dental bone as a treat or a doggie chicken treat. No blood in his feces, just runny with a normal odor. He always drinks tons of water.

Young dogs with diarrhea and/or vomiting make me think first of gastroenteritis--eating something that didn't agree with them. Could be a foreign object like a toy, underwear, rocks or a treat or dog food that has gone "bad". Parvo virus is a possibility, but I'm assuming your dog was vaccinated as a puppy, making parvo very unlikely.

Diarrhea and vomiting both can cause dehydration, particularly in a small breed dog. I suspect that is why your dog is drinking so much. He is likely sleeping more because he doesn't feel good (and/or from the dehydration and lack of food), and not eating much because his stomach hurts.

I would take your dog to your regular vet for an exam. It is possible that his drinking isn't keeping up with the water he is losing in his stool and he may need some fluid therapy. Take in a fresh stool sample as well. Your dog may have intestinal parasites that are causing the diarrhea. Your vet may check some bloodwork to make sure the kidneys are ok, since he is drinking so much. If your dog is painful when the abdomen is palpated, your vet may want to take an x-ray, too.

If your vet thinks it is "just" gastroenteritis, then he/she will likely give the fluids, start your dog on some metronidazole (an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory that is good for diarrhea and inflammation in the GI tract), and have you feed your dog something bland, like Prescription Diet I/D, until the diarrhea clears up.

Good luck!