Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

my dog has not had a bowel movement in 4 days. in fact in the

Customer Question

my dog has not had a bowel movement in 4 days. in fact in the last 7 days he had had only 2 bowel movements. what can i use to help him start having reg. bowel movements
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the dog trying to defecate or straining to go?

Is the dog now eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is slowly eating, i feed him 3 times a day small meals and yes he is drinking
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

I am not sure if you meant to "opt out" of Dr.Scott helping you further, or if you realized by so doing you have prevented him from being able to reply to you again.

Anyway, from what you are describing, it sounds as though your boy is indeed constipated.

The big question is WHY is he constipated?

It could be from the food he is now on (u/d) as it may not have much fibre in it. However, if this persists, I would start to wonder about underlying kidney problems that could be leading to dehydration.

In terms of what you can do for your boy, I would suggest:

1. Probably the fastest way to help him would be to use Pediatric rectal suppositories made for human infants.

They should be available at any pharmacy. They include dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (DSS, ColaceTM), glycerin or bisacodyl (DulcolaxTM).

I usually suggest the glycerin suppository.

It comes as a little cone about 1inch long. For a pup, you would GENTLY insert 1/2 to 1 of one of these into the rectum. It usually helps within an hour.

2. Add some metamucil (psyllium husk, also known as Konsil, Siblin or similar product ) to the food.

to the food. I would suggest 1 teaspoon per 10lbs body weight given 2 or 3 times daily. Discuss this with your vet as a means to preventing future constipation.

3. I would really like you to encourage him to drink.

He can have lots of clear fluids. So, water is fine, but also you can give pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water.

Give the fluids in small amounts frequently.

You should aim to try to get your dog to drink about 1/2 cup of fluids per every 25lbs body weight PER HOUR. You may need to use a syringe or turkey baster to trickle this into his cheek pouch if he seems reluctant to drink.

You could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your boy's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it.

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label

3. Go on lots of short walks - exercise helps things to move along!

4. Try a warm bath with lots of water around the anal area.

You could also try to do a gentle rectal exam. Using a gloved and well lubricated finger, you could try to do a rectal to see if there is a fecal ball stuck in the rectum. If there is you may be able to work it out with lots of warm water and lubricant. Only do this if your dog is tolerant and it does not cause him pain!

5. Continue 2 tablespoons twice daily per 10lbs body weight of canned Pumpkin.

Be sure to use plain canned pumpkin and NOT pie filler, as you have mentioned you are doing. This is often effective, though perhaps your dog does not want to eat the quantities needed to work.

6. Offer him some milk - about 2 tablespoons every 2 to 4 hours. This has a natural laxative effect and may help to move things along.

I do think that a physical exam by a veterinarian would be ideal, but I know that vets may not be open where you are right now. I really wish there that I could do one for you!

If your dog is not feeling MUCH better within 24 hours, then I would strongly recommend a visit to your vet. Your vet might want to do some blood tests to see if there is an underlying reason for this problem (such as low thyroid function or kidney insufficiency).

Best wishes and please update me on how he is doing! I really would like to know!

I hope that this has been helpful?

If it has, please hit the "accept" button and leave feedback.

And if you have more questions about this, just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and to your dog!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please cancel tis request, i am not satisfied