Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog started shaking his head a lot. I took him to the vet

My dog started shaking his head a lot. I took him to the vet and she looked in his ears. She said she couldn't see any infection, but swabbed his ears and gave me some ear drops. The drops have not made a difference. Could he be having an allergic reaction to some dog biscuts I started giving him about a month ago?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

What is the name of the ear drop he is on currently?

How many days has he been on this ear drop?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The drop is EnteDerm Panolog (Dermalone) ointment 7.5 ml. She said she saw something in his right ear, thought at first it may be a tick, then decided it wasn't. Tried swabbing his ear with a long swab. He yelped and then she used a cotton swab and wiped in his ear. Then she looked again and said she couldn't see anything in there anymore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh, he's been on the drop four days now. Still shaking his head
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the update.

The ear drop already has an anti-inflammatory drug in that and should help to decrease the inflammation, which is what causes a dog to shake the ears/head. Usually 4 days should bring some relief to the ears, but if you can not seeing any improvement whatsoever, then I would suggest to take him back to your vet for another look inside the ear, looking for ruptured ear drum, foreign objects including hair impaction, as well as any warts or cysts. But if you do see a mild improvement, then I would suggest to wait a little longer, give the drug at least 7 days to work. If at that time you are still not seeing dramatic improvement, then he should go see your vet again for ear exam.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If there was something in his ear is it possible that she was not able to get it out and it's still in there?

Is there any other reason for head shaking that you can think of?

Is it not possible then that it is a food allergy?

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is very possible. Usually to get something out of the ear, sedation is needed because dogs do not hold still for that.

Again, head shaking is because of irritation of the ear, that's the number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 causes. The question should be what is causing the irritation, be it hair, cyst, wart, foreign object, infection, parasites (ear mites), allergies.

It is possible to be a food allergy, but it would be due to the food you are giving, NOT the treat you are eluding to because it was given 1 month ago. For food allergy, a food trial is needed, and special diet ONLY available from your vet is needed. Food trial is an 8 to 12 week process in which you CANNOT give your dog ANYTHING BUT the special food, this includes NO TREATS WHATSOEVER. As you can see, this is a difficult process, so you need to make sure you and the family are up for this before purchasing the food. BTW, those food are expensive, usually costs at least $80 for a 30 pound bag.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will continue to put the drops in his ear until the drops are gone and watch for any improvement.

The treat I am speaking of, I began giving to him approximately a month ago, and have continued to give him two a day since.

I lost my 11 year old lab/malmute to liver failure last Sept, and adopted this dog from a shelter just recently, and have become attached. I just want to make sure he is ok, and that I'm doing whatever it is he needs to be healthy.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Since you have been continuing to give that treat, then yes it can well be the treat that is causing food allergy and leading to the ear shaking. I would suggest to stop the treat as of right now, and wait 2 to 3 weeks to see if that improves. If it does, then voila, that is the culprit. If not, then a food trial is still needed in order to diagnose food allergy.

If you are satisfied with my help, please press ACCEPT so the system can acknowledge my work here.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok Thank you.

I'm just nervous (and maybe a bit paranoid) that something more sinister could be going on, and I want Jasper to be well and happy.