Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog has a hernia around his butt that is causing him to

My dog has a hernia around his butt that is causing him to have trouble when trying to poop. He has been ok but today I can't tell if he is really urinating or not and he is definitely struggling making all the gestures as if he has not pooped.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Is the hernia on one side of his rectum?
  • How long has it been there?
  • How long has he had problem defecating?
  • Is he vomiting or not eating?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This hernia has been there for a few months but has never really being a real issue with his movements. The hernia is pretty much evenly distributed all around his rectum. Sometimes, some "fluid like" has built in there but I have been careful not to let that situation get to the extreme by walking the dog consistently and letting him go out often during the day. However, I noticed just today that the area around the rectum/annus is rather filled up and even when I walked the dog. I attempted to feel the area to see if I could move any possible "blockage" but the cockapoo was rather sensitive about my manipulations. No vomiting has occurred, and his eating or drinking has not been affected, yet.
Thank you for the information. It is good news that he is acting fairly normal otherwise. A blockage can cause severe pain and vomiting. It is possible for a hernia like this to cause serious complications to the intestines. A blockage can occur. If the bladder herniates then a blockage of the bladder can occur which is an emergency. As the urine builds in the bladder it can actually back up into the kidneys and cause serious toxins to build in the bloodstream. Unfortunately there isn't much to be done at home. I think its best to have him seen first thing in the morning. Continue to take him outside to see if he can urinate. If he can't urinate then have him seen tonight. If he shows abdominal pain or vomiting then have him seen tonight. If you have more questions please let me know. He may need surgery to fix this problem if it is causing a blockage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One of my troubleshooting exercises was to feel for "wetness" around his pennis after walking him and it felt wet. To what extent his discharge was fully sufficient and satisfying, I can't say 100% based on any evidence or traces of puddles. I would venture to say that it may not have been to his normal satisfaction based on the "touch and feel" and size of the sack that the hernia condition has allowed. I assume that using any kind of needle/syringe to extract some of the urine this way is not recommended.
That definitely isn't recommended because that produces a hole in the bladder that can cause leakage into the surrounding tissues and reaction that damages the tissues. Reduction of the hernia under anesthesia is the best option. A urinary catheter can also be tried if necessary but even that may not pass if the hernia is bad enough.