CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has some autism like symptoms. Can dogs have autism

My dog has some autism like symptoms. Can dogs have autism and can you offer any suggestions for me to help him. He is driving us crazy.

11 yr old male lab mix. Whines all the time, wants attention, when you try to pay attention to him he runs away or keeps walking around making it hard to pet him. Half the time when we feed him he stares at his food, won't eat unless the other dog starts eating sometimes even then he runs away, it's worse with my husband. Sometimes we have to sit with him and coax him. It's like he is nervous to eat. He was the pathetic scared little puppy when we picked him from his litter. He got better with lots of love, but at about 2.5 to 3 years old he's been getting worse. He is driving us crazy, so high maintenance and neurotic. We have tried Xanax, does nothing for the behavior, just makes him act more stupid. Prozac does nothing, Rescue Remedy does nothing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

Autism is not a diagnosis that is really made in veterinary medicine. Overall -it sounds as if you are describing anxiety in a dog.

This link here may help : HERE

Aside from what you have already tried listed above, I have several options, both prescription and homeopathic options for you to consider and speak to your veterinarian about for anxiety behavior such as this.

DAP diffuser - This is a device you can plug into an electrical outlet and it sprays a dog pheromone to relieve stress.

Here's a link:

Composure Liquid Another homeopathic remedy which works great for dogs that are agitated

Here is a link:

I hope this information helps :)

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.