Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

why is my dog eating well but losing weight. she is a greyhound

why is my dog eating well but losing weight. she is a greyhound who we used to laugh how fat she was fo this breed. now she seems thin. she has bad gas and wet poops alot. she eats poop all the time as well. what gives ? cancer?
Hi, thanks for your question. Is she drinking excessive water? ANy increase in urination? Is her stool soft, or normal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will ask my wife but i have seen her drink more and she has had some wet stool and she puked the other day. not sure on the urination. she doesnt go out more than normal. she doesnt have accidents.
OK, thanks for the reply. In a dog who is eating well but losing weight, these are our primary concerns:

Intestinal Parasites
Kidney Disease (especially protein-losing nephropathy or glomerulonephritis)
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Heart Disease

We would typically start with a stool sample, followed by blood and urine testing, to evaluate the overall metabolic status. Then, if no answers are obtained, it's on to x-rays to look for a tumor or growth somewhere in the body, or signs of heart disease.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the quick reply. she wallowed a sprerib bone whole. could that have any effect.?
If there is a blockage going on, as a result of the rib bone, then I would expect a poor appetite and vomiting. In the absence of those signs, I don't think it's a likely contributing factor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last question. whats your gut telling you the record. she is normal in every other way.
Without laying a hand on her or my own eyes on her, that's an exceptionally difficult question you are asking. My initial impressions are listed in my first reply, but without more information it's hard to get more specific.