Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

my dog ate melatonin

Customer Question

my dog ate melatonin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How much melatonin?

How much does the dog weigh?

How many minutes/hours ago?

Does the dog have any medical problems that you are aware of?

Is the dog on any medications?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Clyde weighs 20 pounds & he ingested it 15 minutes ago He has no known medical problems & is not on any medications.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok, and how much did Clyde ingest?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Clyde ate two tablets, 3 mg each
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok - don't panic! That doesn't sound too bad...

And how old is Clyde?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Clyde is 5 years old and otherwise healthy
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Melatonin is a medication that we do use in veterinary medicine.

It is usually dosed at 3mg given every 12 hours, and is a very safe medication.

Even in large overdoses, we see little more than slight sedation in healthy dogs.

Here is more about melatonin in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

Given that Clyde is healthy and not on any other medications, you do not need to take any action at this time. He should be just fine!

I hope that this helps!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will be back to provide it.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes!

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not see any advice in answer form, just a statement "I hope this helps" what is your recommendation for Clyde?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
I think you missed the answer part - you may need to scroll up!

Here is more about melatonin in dogs:

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We administered approx 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide to try & make him vomit, but he has not. Is there anything to be concerned about with the peroxide? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
No, not at all. Peroxide just fizzes in the stomach, and that will often cause vomiting. If it does not, there is no concern. When the fizzing stops (under 5 minutes) there is no more irritation from the peroxide and no long term issues.

You are right that peroxide does often induce vomiting, and it is a handy thing to have around. In this case, it is not needed, and you gave a dose that is too low to induce vomiting.

I am happy to tell you how to induce vomiting... but do always check with a vet before doing so.

There are some situations in which you should NOT induce vomiting (such as if Clyde ate something sharp like a bone, or something like used engine oil, or a battery if it was punctured and the caustic material was leaking out.. these things are better dealt with in the stomach as it is stronger than the espophagus which could be damaged during vomiting these things).

To make him vomit, you could take your dog to a veterinarian immediately as this is the safest possible option. If this is absolutely impossible, you could attempt it at home, but know that there is some small risk of aspiration of vomitus.

You can make your dog vomit by using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Give 2 teaspoons per 10lbs body weight. If your dog weighs 20lbs, then you could give the 4 teaspoons which is 1 1/3 tablespoons.

There are 2 ways to do this:

1. METHOD ONE

Tip his nose to the ceiling and pour it down his throat with a shot glass, or a turkey baster. To do this, hold the dog between your knees with you kneeling on the floor. Have the dog face away from you. Point the nose to the ceiling, open the mouth and quickly pour the FULL dose into the back of the mouth.

You can repeat in 10 minutes if he has not vomited yet.

More here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I find the shot glass method to be the most effective!

2. METHOD TWO

If you are not able to give it by mouth as described above, you can use the following method:
1. Feed a small meal or slice of bread first - they are more likely to vomit with some food in the stomach.
2. Dogs will often drink peroxide if you mix it 50:50 with milk or ice cream, and it is just as effective.
3. Dogs are more likely to vomit after getting hydrogen peroxide if they move around - play ball, go for a walk, run up and down stairs - as this heightens the fizzing.
4. Always check the expiration date of the peroxide. If it is old it doesn't fizz very well!

You can repeat in 10 minutes if he has not vomited yet. BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARY IN THIS CASE! I AM ONLY TELLING YOU FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!

You should not do it more than twice. The vast majority of dogs will vomit with this! It is useful in case he eats chocolate, prescription medications, or sugarless gum containing xylitol.

Hope that helps!

You do not need to hit accept again even though the system will prompt you to do so - as you will then be charged a second time!

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It hasn't made him barf yet. We gave him about a teaspoon...should we try to make him vomit by giving him another teaspoon?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
No!

He really does not need to vomit. The melatonin is safe. The peroxide is safe. There is a small risk with vomiting that he could aspirate.

I would not take even that small risk with my dog.

Clyde should be just fine - perhaps slightly sleepy for 8 to 12 hours, but nothing else!

Fiona
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, Dr. Fiona...I am good with that! We'll just watch him & be more careful in the future...he's very quick to steal anything he thinks is a treat! I appreciate your help. have a great night!

Regards,

Susanne

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Susanne,
You are very welcome!

I lived with a Beagle for 14 years, and he and Clyde sound a lot alike with their habit of grabbing and eating anything around!

Best wishes to you both,
Fiona