Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is shaking violently, vomiting, and is not able to walk.

My dog is shaking violently, vomiting, and is not able to walk. I have called my vet's answering service, but have not gotten a call. My dog was fine a couple of hours ago. The temperature is in the teens tonight and my dog was in the garage. AT first I thought she was just cold, but she wasn't coming to me, then threw up and I realized she was shaking and her muscles seem to be contracting. I don't......my vet called said to give two benadryls and then some antacid. If not better bring in the morning. .....Now my other big dog is shaking violently and vomitting, falling over. My husband just informed me he bought new food tonight- Pedigree at Big Lots. It seems it was the food. It appears to have affected their nervous system. ??????? What to do? I'm so scared and the dogs are struggling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Have you put any topical flea products on them recently?
Is there any chance they got into anything moldy like garbage?
Any chance they got into rodent or gopher bait?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm pretty sure they didn't get into anything they weren't supposed to. This happend within a couple of hours after my husband fed them . He informed me this was a new bag of Pedigree he bought at Big Lots. It's so scary. They are really sick and shaking ~really shaking badly.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks,

It probably is food related, and it sounds like there is a mold contaminant in the food. Mold toxicity will cause vomiting, muscle tremors and potentially seizures in dogs.

You are not going to be able to treat this at home, they need veterinary care. I would take them to your nearest ER vet to get them to vomit (if it can be done safely), give activated charcoal to bind any toxin left in the GI tract then place them on IV fluids to speed up metabolism and excretion of the toxin. We also use injections of a medication called Methocarbamol (Robaxin) to control the muscle tremors. Most dogs will have signs resolve in 12-24 hours. I have seen a handful of dogs take up to 2-3 days for signs to fully resolve.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately we have no ER Vet in my town. I'm very scared for my dogs. Both have them have already vomited lots. The first dog that got sick is a little better- the smaller is dog is having seizures as we speak- it's awful- what can I do right now?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Check this site to see if you have an ER vet somewhere nearby: http://veccs.org/hospital_directory.php

Other than that, you may want to try calling up your local pharmacy and seeing if they have activated charcoal available- you can pick this up and give it to them. It binds any toxin left in the GI tract to prevent further absorption.

To treat the signs, you really need injectable Methocarbamol. There is no substitute.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, the first dogthat got sick (the bigger one) is doing better. The smaller dog is still having seizures. I appreciate your help. I did call my vet again and she asked me if I had any muscle relaxer or xanax- all I had was Hydrocodone- the bottle said generic for Lortab. I crushed it up and put in water and gave it to my dog. The seizures are farther apart, but he's still having them. She advised me to put him on a comforter to protect his head , turn the lights off, not to touch or talk to him as that stimulates the nervous system. I'm right outside the door. He's really breathing hard - I will take both dogs to the vet in the morning.

How can I tell if the food was the problem? We have checked and rechecked to make sure there was no poison in the garage. Could my smaller dog, who is having seizures,

get this sick just from eating the first dog's vomit? ~ Just trying to figure out what made them both sick. Will they recover?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Good, I'm glad they're looking a little better.

This could all be from mold- molds will cause neurologic signs that you are seeing. You can send the food back to the company to test it for mold or just treat and throw away the food. Yes the one could get the signs from eating the contaminated vomit from the other dog.

One thing you may want to do is watch his temperature- you can take rectal temps with a digital thermometer. Normal is 100-102. If over 105 then I would try to actively cool with cool water.

As long as they survive the first 12-24 hours, most of these dogs do fine.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)