Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

My 2 1/2 year old pomeranian is acting lethargic. He is wobbly

Customer Question

My 2 1/2 year old pomeranian is acting lethargic. He is wobbly when he tries to walk and he won't sit up right. his heart is beating at about 40-50 beats per min and he won't eat. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
I'm Dr. Kris.

If your dog's heart rate is 40-50 beats per minute then his heart is beating too slowly (normal rate is 80-120 bpm) and this is an emergency. You shoul get him to a vet as soon as possible.

His symptoms are vague and could indicate a number of problems but the slow heart rate and the fact that he won't sit up are concerning to me. The best thing would be for you to get him to an emergency clinic where they can monitor him and do blood tests and radiographs if necessary.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has gotten lethargic like this before and we've brought him to the clinic... They always say the same thing of that they don't really know what's caused it. They usually put him on fluids and he seems to be fine within a few hours. I checked his gums and he doesn't seem dehydrated this time. I can't really afford to bring him to the emergency clinic again... the cost of everything is doubled and i just can't afford another $500-$1000 for them to just tell me they don't know. I want to take him to the vet in the AM but I am just concerned if he will be ok until then. His ears have perked up but I don't know what has caused his heart to slow.
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 6 years ago.
I"m not sure what has caused the slow heart either. Toxins and conditions like hypothyroidism can cause it. The best you can do until the morning is keep him warm and quiet. You can give him some water with a dropper if he won't drink and you can give him 1 teaspoon karo or maple syrup or honey. If he vomits don't give him anything else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We got him to eat a small amount of wet food a short while ago and we've given him some water with a dropper... how much should he have per hour? Also, is it ok to let him fall asleep if his heart is so slow? What are the consequences of his heart beating so slow? how often should we check his pulse?
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 6 years ago.
With his heart beating so slow the risk is decreased perfusion of organs which can then lead to organ failure and cell death. You can check his pulse every half hour. You can give him 3 tablespoons of water per hour. If he falls asleep, monitor his pulse. If it slows down even more then wake him up. The down side of doing this is you will have a very tired dog and the constant waking may stress him too much.