Dr. May
Dr. May, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.

Is Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride ok for dogs I have a 90 pound

Is Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride ok for dogs? I have a 90 pound lab mix & she seems to have a UTI. I'd like to use my AZO Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride at half what I use if it is not harmful to her.. at least until morning when I can get her in to the vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. May replied 6 years ago.

I do not recommend using this drug in dogs as it can be quite toxic. If your dog is not currently on any medications and does not have kidney, or liver disease and does not have a known bleeding disorder, you can use Aspirin for pain and discomfort. You can give your dog 5 mg per pound of body weight once to twice daily for pain and inflammation. Please let your veterinarian know that you gave the Aspirin when you see him/her tomorrow. Aspirin will not treat the infection. Make sure to giver her plenty of water to help flush her system.

Your veterinarian will probably want to run a urinalysis, urine culture, and possibly abdominal x-rays (to rule out bladder stones). And of course, put your dog on some antibiotics.

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Dr. May