Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

What can you give a dog for a stuffy nose, congestion, and

What can you give a dog for a stuffy nose, congestion, and difficulty breathing due to all the mucus? I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago for followup bloodwork (she has chronic renal failure) and brought up the congestion, but she wasn't exhibiting the symptoms while the vet was with her, and the vet said her lungs were clear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

How much does your dog weight?

Any discharge from the nose? If so, what color?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Her normal weight is around 12-14 lbs, but right now she weighs about 10 lbs. There is a very small amount of clear discharge from the nose, but she has a lot of clear saliva in her mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the update.

I would suggest to get some human over the counter Chlortrimetron 4mg tablets and give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to help with the nasal congestion. This drug is an anti-histamine that also can help dry up the nose. If after giving this for 2 to 3 days and there is no improvement, then she needs to go back to your vet for a recheck and get some prescription medication.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is Chlortrimeton better than diphenhydramine (Benadryl)? I had read about using the Benadryl but not the Chlortrimeton...
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Benadryl is only antihistamine with no effects for the nose. Chlortrimetron is the one to use for nasal allergy problems.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery