Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog has a stuffy nose, congestion and trouble breathing.

What can I give my dog that has been diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure and is having a stuffy nose, congestion and difficulty breathing due to the mucus?

Hi. I will do my best to help.

How much does your dog weight?

Any discharge from the nose? If so, what color?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Her normal weight is around 12-14 lbs, but right now she weighs about 10 lbs. There is a very small amount of clear discharge from the nose, but she has a lot of clear saliva in her mouth.

Thanks for the update.

I would suggest to getting some human over-the-counter Chlortrimetron 4mg tablets and give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to help with the nasal congestion. This drug is an anti-histamine that also can help dry up the nose. If after giving this for 2 to 3 days and there is no improvement, then she needs to go back to your vet for a recheck and get some prescription medication.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is Chlortrimeton better than diphenhydramine (Benadryl)? I had read about using the Benadryl but not the Chlortrimeton.

Benadryl is only antihistamine with no effects for the nose. Chlortrimetron is the one to use for nasal allergy problems.