CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my toy poodle has been limping on her back leg. She can jump

my toy poodle has been limping on her back leg. She can jump onto and off of my bed and runs without a problem. At times, she walks on all four paws but suddenly she will start limping again. She lets me check her paw and doesnt seem to be in crucial pain. Cant afford to go to vet at this time and before I do I would like an advise to see if I need to take her immediatley or what can I do until I take her. Im starting to get worried. She has been limping Since Dec 24th on and off. Thank You
Thank you for your post!

This does not seem like an emergency...and one that you can likely wait to see your vet for.

While there can be many possible causes - I would estimate that a likely cause is a shifting knee cap.

This link may also help:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2448
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You for the quick response. Can my husband try to place the kneecap back into place and how would he do this? Or should I wait to see the vet? If my poosle does have a shifting knee cap, what caused it and how can I prevent it?
I would not touch or manipulate the kneecap at home.

Often this is not a problem long term - but in serious cases, there is no way to improve the situation without surgery.

Your veterinarian (on examination) can tell you the severity of the knee cap shift and discuss medication vs. surgery at that time.