Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my dog, a mini dachshund, is shivering. It is not cold in here

my dog, a mini dachshund, is shivering. It is not cold in here and she never shakes. She seems not herself. Looks a bit down and cannot be calmed. She has quick breaths and her heart seems to be beeting quickly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your Dachshund over sooner rather than later.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease over the internet I would say from the fact that she is shivering and is clearly in some distress that it is highly likely that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. However in the Dachshund you cannot discount pain and discomfort from a back lesion.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well make things worse as could delays in treatment. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I do plan on bringing her in the morning. She is not warm, so I didn't think there was a fever. I applied pressure to her back/spine but no discomfort was indicated. SHe just seems like she is miserable. I wish I could give more information. I hate seeing her like this. I am afraid to go to bed and wake up to her worse. Should I look for something else?
Hello again,

This a tricky decision for you I know, I have seen a lot of out of hours emergencies in my time and in a dog of four years of age this could well be something minor. But you just never know ....

Keep a good eye on your dog.

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.