Dr. C
Dr. C, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  30+ yrs of Veterinary experience: medicine, surgery, nutrition; 45+ yrs.companion animal owner
15064662

My dog is shaking, not all the time, but once in awhile. Doesnt

My dog is shaking, not all the time, but once in awhile. Doesnt drink alot of water and wont go to the bathroom unless she really has to. I dont think she likes the snow much either.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.
Hi-

Tell me about the "shaking" when does she do it and is it related to any activity? Is she eating normally and what about bowel movements. What part of the country and how much snow? Does she stay inside or out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she shakes inside and outside. its random, lasts a few minutes. Looks like she is scared. Her whole body tremors. She hasnt been eating or drinking much. She will still take treats handed to her but hasnt been eating much dog food. Drinking water is the same way. Her bowl was full all day yesterday. We live in Sheboygan WI. We have snow on the ground. When we go for walks it doesnt seem to be a problem. Wont go outside in our yard in the snow without coaxing her. She stays inside. Her bathroom habits are this....she wont go unless she reallly has to. She will hold it in as long as possible then when she goes,she goes ALOT!
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.
I don't hear any indication for a seizure like activity in her history. Many dogs will change their behavior in sub-zero weather. Small and medium sized dogs are worse about this than others. Many are able to hold on to house-training for a long time also. If this continues, then there may be an underlying issue which isn't surfacing and she may need to see a professional. I would monitor her weight at home for a few days. If she starts loosing weight, then she needs help. Many dogs will decrease their eating when they aren't doing anything activity wise, which it sounds like she's at that stage.
I hope this is helpful. Please push ACCEPT and thanks!