CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 7 year old Shih-tzu has had an upset stomach for the past

My 7 year old Shih-tzu has had an upset stomach for the past 3 days. Since Thursday she has had a little bit of the runs and has been vomiting yellow bile. I thought she was getting better yesterday (seemed more like herself) but it started again this morning. She has always had stomach issues. Periodically vomits but never for this long. Her vet said she may have acid reflux. I'm starting to get concerned since this has been for a few days now. Please advise!!!!
Thank you for your post!

How much does your dog weigh?

-
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is about 22 lbs.
From your history - it certainly sounds like there may be a gastroenteritis or even a colitis. This can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

Here is a great link that talks about colitis.
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677

Here is a great link that talks about gastroenteritis.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastroenteritis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you would like to try conservative management at home, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for 3-4 days, hoping that she improves over this time. I would also recommend adding a supplement such as 1 tablespoon of bran, canned pumpkin, or metamucil as a fiber source to increase the stool consistency.

You can also consider giving 5mg of Pepcid A/C (famotidine) by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter.

With that said - if she is not doing well at home, becomes more lethargic, or has signs such as more vomiting, continued diarrhea/abnormal stool after 3-5 days of treatment - this may be a time to see your veterinarian again for evaluation.

I hope this information helps! PLEASE let me know...
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try. She is our baby and when she is sick it is like one of my children is not feeling well.
You are very welcome!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian