Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 5yr old min-pin has been throwing up and getting diarrhea

My 5yr old min-pin has been throwing up and getting diarrhea since yesterday. What could be wrong and how do we treat it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.,

My primary concerns for vomiting and diarrhea includes:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine disease like Addison’s (where the body produces insufficient steroids from the adrenal glands)

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease or failure (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

As you can see, there are some concerning items on the list. Also, with lots of vomiting, I also get nervous about pancreatitis. Once the pancreas is mad, most pets really need to be hospitalized on IV supportive care for awhile until they improve. If it was throughout the day yesterday, I would strongly consider getting into a vet now.

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast

Cooked white rice

Low-fat cottage cheese

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

*Sometimes, you will see cooking hamburger meat being recommended and taking off the fat. I try to avoid this option as it can exacerbate pets that may have pancreatitis. Chicken works great.

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets like Science Diet I/D or Iams Low-residue. Both are wonderful options.

1. Abdominal x-rays to look for foreign bodies, masses, and intestinal wall changes.

2. A basic blood test for an overall health assessment.

3. A fecal test to check for intestinal parasites (not just worms, but also microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia)

Good Luck