Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog is licking his penis a lot more than the typical occasional

My dog is licking his penis a lot more than the typical occasional lick. I just checked it and there appears to be a mucous like yellow/green discharge at the tip. Might this cause the excessive licking and is there something I should be doing to address this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Tough to say.

Either there was already a urinary tract infection, or prepucial infection (infection of the sheath surrounding the penis (right where it pops out), or the licking caused the problem in the first place.

Treatment will definitely require going into a vet to examine the tip of the penis and the sheath, and likely, some oral antibiotics to go home.