Dr. May
Dr. May, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.

How do I determine if my dog pulled a muscle in his hine leg,

How do I determine if my dog pulled a muscle in his hine leg, broke it, or pulled it out of the socket?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. May replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Which leg is it?
Is he bearing weight on it?
Did something happen? (playing hard, running, slippin on ice?)
Does he appear to be in pain?

Thanks,
Dr. May
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Left back leg.
He was seen fighting with other dogs.
Not bearing weight, holding it close to him.
Somewhat of pain when we attempt to stretch it out.
Expert:  Dr. May replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

It does not sound like the leg is broken or pulled out of the socket, however it is often necessary to x-ray the leg to know for sure. He most likely injured the soft tissues of the leg making sudden movements during the altercation. He may have also been bitten in that leg. See if you can see any breaks in the skin on that leg. It is also possible that he tore a ligament in that knee, mostly the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament).

It is best to confine him to a cage/crate/small room and minimize his activity over the next few days. Leash walks to go to the bathroom and then back to confinement. If not any better, it is best to take him in to your veterinarian for a thorough physical exam and possibly x-rays. A published dose of aspirin is 5mg per 1pound of body weight once or twice a day for pain and inflammation. It is best to consult with your veterinarian prior to starting any medications. This drug should not be given if there are known kidney, liver disease, bleeding disorders.

Keep him quiet and see what he is like in the morning.

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Dr. May
Dr. May, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.