Dr. May
Dr. May, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.

can you breed a dog with an umbilical hernia

It is not recommended to breed a dog with an umbilical hernia or other genetic defect since it is likely to be passed down to the puppies. The safety depends on how large the hernia is and if it is reducible (able to be pushed back into the abdomen) or non-reducible. Small non-reducible hernias are probably the safest. If you do plan on breeding her, fixing the hernia will be a great option prior to breeding.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Dr. May
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The hernia on her umbilical area is reduceable as it is able to be pushed back in. What do you mean by non-reduacable? Why is non-safer? All other pups in her litter were fine she is the only one and Mom and Dad are both Registered show dogs with no other occurances or history of this happening in past litters. Could this not just be a one time thing? Sorry just need to know all my bases.
Non-reducible means that when you push on it, it does not go back into the abdomen. This usually means that the defect is closed or is very small, not enabling the tissue that is already out to come back in. It is safer because tissue from the inside of the abdomen like intestines cannot come out through the defect (hernia) and possibly get strangulated.

She may be the only one in her litter to have an umbilical hernia, but it is usually passed on by genetics. So her puppies do have a chance, I don't know how great of a chance, to be born with an umbilical hernia. There is a chance that the puppies will not be born with a hernia, but they will most likely carry the genetic material that can be passed on to future generations.

I hope this helped clear things up.