Dr. Dahl
Dr. Dahl, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years experience in small animal (dog/cat) general practice... medicine and surgery

Can you give a dog gas-x or beano if they have gas My dog

Can you give a dog gas-x or beano if they have gas?
My dog weighs about 25 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dahl replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you can certainly use Gas-X if your dog seems to have discomfort from gas pains. There are a number of other over-the-counter product that are similar. The active ingredient in Gas-X is simethicone, and you can just give 1/4 the adult human dose.

You can also give Beano with a meal. But even though these products may eliminate gas distension or pains, they don't guarantee your dog won't still be flatulent. For that, you may need to experiment with some "sensitive stomach" diets, or discuss other diagnostic or treatment options with your veterinarian.

Good luck!

Dr. D

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Jeff, Thank you for your quick answer to my question. The problem we have is my dog is passing gas and my husband wants to leave her outside and I want her inside, so I am trying to find a solution to use right now so she can be in the house.

Expert:  Dr. Dahl replied 6 years ago.
By all means, try the Gas-X. It may help minimize the gas so your dog can stay in for the night. But if she is gassy all the time, you may need to try the dietary changes to see if you can find something that works better with her sensitive gut. Often it will be a "low residue", highly digestible diet. Hill's i/d is a common prescription diet that often helps, but your dog may not need a prescription diet, just a change. Make any changes gradually, over a 4-5 day period, so as not to cause additional disturbances.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Jeff,

I appreciate your prompt response. I will definitely try the gas-x and if it doesn't work, I will just make my husband stay outside. hahaha

Thanks! You have been a great help to me! Happy New Year!

Expert:  Dr. Dahl replied 6 years ago.

It definitely helps to have that sense of humor! I have a dog that has some serious intermittent gas problems too, so I know what you're dealing with. In fact, everyone who's every owned a dog knows what you're dealing with!

Happy New Year.

Dr. D