Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

My dog seems to have a discharge that is colorless and odorless

Customer Question

My dog seems to have a discharge that is colorless and odorless from her rear. Not sure if it is anal gland or vagina. She is not uncomfortable. She also has loose stools and wondering if that could be related. She has had a lot of colonitis lately due to new male and construction on the house.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question Customer .

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. As far as the colorless and odorless discharge is concerned this could be urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch. While this is in fact urine many clients have told me in the past that in this case it is colorless and odorless. I will tell you more about this condition :

A. As its name suggests it affects spayed bitches.

B. The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying, and urine will dribble out of the dog as she walks. These dogs often lick their vulva area which will be wet.

C. The cause of this disease is relaxation of the urethral sphincter.

D. It can be treated via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin or Proin. However there are other drugs which can be used such as female hormones.

2. As far as the diarrhoea is concerned the white rice is a good idea, your vet may also suggest something like the following :

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

As there are possibly two conditions going on here your idea of seeing the vet tomorrow seems a good idea. Usually neither of these conditions will be too serious but it could be that prescription drugs will sort things out quicker. Good luck with your dog ...

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Of course I thought of incontinence at first; however, she exhibits none of the behaviors that you describe. She does not lick herself at all, does not dribble and she does this after she has emptied her bladder and bowels.

Her vulva is not swollen. She has not had her anal glands emptied for close to 5 years. She has horrible bowel cleanliness. After she has a movement, I have to check under her tail as she will not clean herself. I use toddler wipes to clean her myself being careful not to go toward the vulva; however, I may take too much fluid from the anal gland. I know I do. That has caused a problem in the past with her bleeding from the rectum, but nothing related to this.

If she were incontinent, would it be all the time? She has that "lassie" cry and she will get off the bed and cry louder and louder until I escort her outside to pee. Also, I moniter the amount of water she drinks, but I know there is extra water in the rice--she is not getting that much, just a tablespoon or so.

She did this about 2 weeks ago, then nothing. Then it started today. I appreciate any answer that you have. I have 2 disabilities and I can not work so this money is precious to me. I spend it on my pets before me.
Hello again,

1. I would still consider urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch, this clear colorless discharge must be coming from somewhere. No two cases are alike you see, some have a minor amount of discharge and some more. At the end of the day I would suspect the urinary tract as anal gland discharge is never colorless and odorless and neither would other discharges from the rectum. However another possibility would be a urinary tract infection, this would fit in more with the history of it having occurred two weeks ago and then cleared up. Most urinary tract infections in female dogs will clear up with a course of antibiotics.

Regards,

Scot
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to press the accept button but I want to thank you. I just have to accept what m I don't want to. While you were responding, she wet a good sized towel, and went through to the comforter. I went and got her "panties" from when she was a show dog and was not spayed and found the fem. pads to go in them and she is not happy, and I am not either, but I have to take care of my responsiblility and not ignore it because I don't want it to be so.

She is far too young to have to deal with this for another 5-7 years or so (my dogs live long lives). But you say it can be treated. Thank you. Please do not reply. Take my money. I don't have much more. I guess that has nothing to do with you. Healthy new year to your family (with skin and fur)