Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

i know that garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. I made

i know that garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. I made approximately 24 cups of chicken stew with 7 oz. minced garlic. Is this too much?
I just fed 1/4 c. to each 5 lb Chihuahua.
I long does the chemical that causes the anemia remain in the body? Is there long term damage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Garlic can in fact be dangerous in large amounts, but if you made 24 cups of stew, then 1/4 cup is approximately 1/96th of the total amount - if we divide the 7 oz garlic into 96 parts, we arrive at approximately 2 grams of garlic per serving. I would not expect that to be a dangerous amount, even for small dogs such as these Chihuahuas. A toxic amount would be approximately 10 - 12 grams of garlic for a 5 pound dog.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but does it build up over time? connecting to the blood cells.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
You shouldn't make a habit out of feeding this stew to your dogs - the toxic ingredients can build up in the red blood cells over time, and will damage the red blood cells, leading to hemolytic anemia. As a once in a while tiny treat, there's little likelihood of harm - but continued feeding will be a problem.