David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My dog just ate a few bites of sweet potato with pumpkin pie

Customer Question

My dog just ate a few bites of sweet potato with pumpkin pie spice on top. I'm worried the nutmeg in it is affecting him. I didn't know that it could hurt him and just found it on your site. He is a 24 lbs lhasa apso and is trembling and looking around like he is being stung by something. What should I do? My 3 other lhasas ate a little too, but they seem OK
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Nutmeg can potentially cause toxic effects in dogs. Nutmeg contains chemicals that can cause severe hallucinations and signs including fast heart rate, and skin flushing. A small amount of nutmeg in baked goods is probably not going to be a problem but eating a large quantity of baked goods or eating straight nutmeg could be a problem.

I would rinse the mouth out well with water. If your dog is showing abnormal symptoms, the best medical advice I can give you would be to have him evaluated by a veterinarian so they can determine if further treatment is needed, such as IV fluids or specific medications. It's possible that the symptoms may go away on their own during the day, but if you elect to watch him closely and the symptoms are persisting, I would recommend that you get him into a veterinary clinic today if at all possible.

Dr. Dave