David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic

Dog is sick after eating spiral cooked ham bone. What to do?

I gave my dog a spiral cooked ham bone. He chewed it up - took awhile. He got sick and is throwing up bone chunks, phlegm, and one time some dark red stuff. He has been sick twelve hours now. He is quite weak and lethargic. What should I do to help him?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 6 years ago.

I am very concerned that your Lhasa is quite weak and lethargic, and that he won't eat or drink. My best medical advice would be to get him to a veterinarian as soon as you can, possibly at an ER clinic if your veterinarian is not available. Your dog may be dehydrated and needs fluids, and it sure sounds like he needs anti-nausea medications. In some circumstances, bones can cause blockages, stomach irritation, or even pancreatitis (where the pancreas gets inflamed - this can be quite serious). About the only thing you can do at home is to give a dose of Pepto-Bismol (0.5 ml per pound of body weight), or Pepcid AC (0.5 mg per pound of body weight) to try and settle the stomach. Then, if there is no vomiting for about 6 hours, you can try small amounts of water, Pedialyte, and bland food (cooked chicken and rice, chicken or turkey baby food).

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My dog is stubborn and won't open his mouth. I smeared some ground up tums/liquid on his face hoping he will lick it. He hasn't done that yet. He walks some and then just lays down. He has a sad look in his eyes.
I'll try a dropper to get some into his mouth.
Thanks for the help. He's my buddy.

I have dealt with stubborn dogs like that! Keep trying and be persistent.

Glad to be here to try and help you and your buddy out.

Take care