Doc James
Doc James, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years small animal veterinarian, acupuncturist

How much will skin graphing on a small dog cost Estimation

How much will skin graphing on a small dog cost? Estimation? His would is on his right rear leg and about the size of a door knob. They say he may heal with out the skin graph but it would take a really long time.

In a situation like this, there is not an easy answer to your question, or an easy answer to what choice to make.

You have three options. The first is continuing the wet-to-dry bandages, and giving this time. This might be your cheapest option, though labor intensive. The second is continuing this, and adding in multiple surgeries, to slowly bring the wound closer to itself. This can aid the healing process, is used successfully, but warrants repeated surgeries. The third option is a skin graft but understand that often these don't "take" and they fail, leaving two wounds to heal. There is not a guarantee of a successful graft.

As for the price, I can't give you an accurate range on treatment. Even where I live, I could see the range going anywhere from $500-2000. It will depend on your vet, and the follow-up, and any complications arising.

I recently healed a wound like this that was about 3 x 3 inches, on the ankle of a dog. We did wet-to-dry's and it took about a month, doing bandages every 3-4 days. We were able to do this without sedation, which cut the cost tremendously.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.