Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

My dog missed her dose for heartworm meds. She is on Sentinel

My dog missed her dose for heartworm meds. She is on Sentinel right now. It has been 53 days since her last dose... what should I do? Get her tested and then start giving it to her? Or just give it to her? (she doesn't live with me... and my grandparents whom she lives with told me they gave her the meds, and I only just found out that they never did)

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Where do you live now? Where has the dog been (ie where is your Grandparent's place)?

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am currently living in Houston TX. My dog is living in Central Texas, near Hamilton TX. She is out on 42 acres. They have one other dog... and tons and tons of stray dogs come by.

I think that their dog is on heartworm meds... but I'm not positive.

Oh, Ok!

I can understand why you would be concerned given your location. Heartworm is indeed a problem in Texas.

So, you should re-start the Sentinel right away and re-test your dog in 6 months. Our blood tests will not pick up an infection that is less than 6 months old, so there is no point in testing any earlier than that.

If you re-start right away, odds are very much in her favour that she will be fine!

I hope that helps and allays your fears!

If it has, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

I will still be here to provide more information if you need it – just click reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and to your dog!

Fiona