Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine

My german shepherd keeps scratching and biting himself. I

Customer Question

My german shepherd keeps scratching and biting himself. I don't see any fleas on him. I have given him lots of baths because he got sprayed by a skunk. Could his skin be irritated from giving him lots of baths and is there any kind of over-the-counter creams or sprays I could put on him until he can see the veterinarian on Monday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. Yes the excessive bathing could very well have dried out his skin and/or changed the bacterial population causing the symptoms you are seeing.
Something you can do for him until you can gt him to your veterinarian on Monday is give him a clear water bath in lukewarm water and after ten minutes of soaking him down, spray him with Alpha Keri Bath oil and water 1 cap-full of bath oil in a pint sprayer shaken well (another brand of bath oil will work, but probably not quite as well). The idea is to rehydrate his skin with the warm water and seal the moisture in with the oil. Be really liberal with the spray you can't over-dose him! Pat him semi-dry with a bath towel and let him air dry. If he's still itchy a couple of adult aspirin (buffered if possible to help minimize stomach upset) given every four hours may help. Happy New year and good luck!