Dr. May
Dr. May, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.

My dog ate about 8 oz. of milk chocolate (including foil wrappers)

My dog ate about 8 oz. of milk chocolate (including foil wrappers) on Sunday night and has been vomiting since early Monday morning. Should I take him to the hospital? Or wait it out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. May replied 6 years ago.

How much does your dog weigh?
Did he vomit up any of the chocolate?

Dr. May
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He weighs about 30lbs. and he vomitted up a lot of the chocolate, and continues to vomit the foil wrappers.. although it appears most of the chocolate already came up because the vomit is much lighter in color today/last night
Expert:  Dr. May replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply.

A published toxic dose of milk chocolate for a dog is 1oz per 1lb of body weight. That would mean that your dogs toxic dose is 30 oz of chocolate. He ingested quite a bit less than the toxic dose. The problem is that this is just a guideline and some dogs are more sensitive. At this point I would expect your dog to have diarrhea and no vomiting. It is concerning that he is still vomiting.

The other possibilities are intestinal blockage from the wrappers or pancreatitis. The pancreas is responsible for digesting fat and proteins and sometimes gets irritated from the overload of sugar and fat. Pancreatitis causes vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen and lethargy. Intestinal obstruction prevents normal intestinal flow and can lead to vomiting.

It is best to have your dog evaluated by a veterinarian. Continuous vomiting may lead to dehydration. Your dog may need some supportive care and some diagnostic test to rule out intestinal obstruction.

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Dr. May